We are looking for a well-rounded hands-on engineering manager to grow our mechanical engineering team. This role will be located in our Philadelphia office. The Director of Mechanical Engineering role will involve defining product architectures, program management, internal and external resource management, and employee management. The ideal candidate has proven experience in bringing complex mechanical and electromechanical devices through product development and into production.
Smithwise is a product development firm with offices in Philadelphia and Boston. We work with startups and established companies to design, engineer and manufacture electro-mechanical products for medical applications. Our projects range from IoT wearables to surgical devices to life support systems. We offer a creative work environment with passionate clients, a highly collaborative team and technically challenging projects. Following are the responsibilities and requirements for the position.
- Mechanical Engineering Management – Work with internal staff and external contractors to ensure that mechanical engineering is conducted within the project constraints while maintaining quality and consistency in deliverables. Contribute to hands-on mechanical engineering activities as needed.
- Design for Manufacturability & Assembly (DFMA) – Work with internal team to ensure that all products are design with appropriate manufacturing processes and materials in-mind. Lead DFMA on key projects.
- Manufacturing Transfer – Create manufacturing plans, build supply chains, and manage the transfer process from design into production. Manage pilot builds and work with clients to scale-up production.
- Program Management – Manage multi-disciplinary teams (mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, industrial designers) through the development of complex systems. Serve as the primary client interface on key projects. Prepare project documentation (Gantt charts, action item lists, proposal updates) to ensure full alignment with clients throughout development process. Ensure that project stays within the allocated timeline / budget, and addressing scope changes with clients as they arise.
- Quality Management – Improve processes and templates for design control, risk management, and other quality related areas. Maintain and continuously evolve best practices for mechanical engineering processes. Ensure compliance with standards on relevant projects.
- Team Building & Management – Define ongoing mechanical engineering needs and create a hiring plan to build a team. Generate job descriptions, manage interviewing process, and mentor new team members. Provide regular feedback to mechanical engineering team members, and perform annual reviews including compensation adjustments. Manage employee exit process as required.
- Vendor Management – Identify capable vendors that can be leveraged to perform tactical processes. Specify work scope, procure proposals, perform quality audits, and negotiate terms with vendors. Manage vendors throughout projects and address any vendor issues as they arise.
- Business Development Support – Collaborate with business development team in sales presentations, project scoping, and proposal development.
- Travel as needed: Occasional overnight travel will be required to service client meetings, supplier meetings, and cross-office work.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) managing multi-disciplinary teams in the development of complex medical devices and systems
- Experience with ISO 13485 and compliant Quality Management Systems
- Expertise in design for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA)
- Experience building and maintaining supply chains and transferring products into manufacturing
- Expertise in mechanical and electromechanical medical devices (Class I, II and III)
- Experience working in a fast-moving, small company environment
- Willingness and ability to get hands-on with mechanical engineering tasks
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MS Preferred) or other related engineering discipline
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive Salary
- For a summary of our benefits including employee out of pocket costs please follow this link.
- Eligibility for discretionary bonus following 12-mths of full-time employment
- Health insurance of which 60% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Dental insurance of which 50% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Eligibility after 3 months of employment to participate in Simple IRA with dollar-for-dollar match up to 3% of employee salary.
- Company paid Short & Long-term Disability Policy
- Company paid Life Insurance (1x pay)
- Unlimited vacation, holidy and sick time, under the condition that you are able to get your job done. Eligibility begins after 60 days of continuous employment.
- Eligibility for educational stipend (after 12 months of full time employment) and dedicated time for continued refinement of professional skills.
If you are interested in this position, please respond with the following:
- Email cover summarizing your background and interests
- Portfolio (if available)
Please send these items to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Thanks you for your time and interest in the position.
View All Positions