We are looking for a well-rounded hands-on engineering manager to build and grow our electrical
engineering team. This role will be located in our Philadelphia, PA location. The Director of Electrical
Engineering role will involve defining product architectures, program management, internal and external
resource management, and employee management. The ideal candidate has proven experience in
bringing complex electrical and software-driven devices through product development and into
Smithwise is a product development firm with offices in Newton, MA and Philadelphia, PA. We work with startups and established companies to design, engineer and manufacture electro-mechanical products for medical, consumer, commercial and industrial applications. Our projects range from handheld medical scanners to consumer robotics, health monitoring wearables, and surgical instruments. We offer a creative work environment with passionate clients, a highly collaborative team and technically challenging projects. Following are the responsibilities and requirements for the position.
- Electrical and Software Engineering Management – Work with internal staff and external contractors to ensure that electrical and software engineering is conducted within the project constraints while maintaining quality and consistency in deliverables. Perform hands-on electrical engineering tasks as needed until electrical engineering team is sufficiently built.
- Program Management – Manage multi-disciplinary teams (mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, industrial designers) through the development of complex systems. Serve as the primary client interface on key projects. Prepare project documentation (gantt charts, action item lists, proposal updates) to ensure full alignment with clients throughout development process. Ensure that project stays within the allocated timeline / budget, and addressing scope changes with clients as they arise.
- Quality Management – Improve processes and templates for design control, risk management, and other quality related areas. Establish and document best practices for electrical and software engineering processes. Maintain latest standards (IEC, ISO) and ensure compliance with standards on relevant projects.
- Team Building & Management – Define ongoing electrical and software engineering needs and create a hiring plan to build a team over time. Build job descriptions, manage interviewing process, and on-board new team members. Provide regular feedback to electrical and software team members, and perform annual reviews including compensation adjustments. Manage exit process for departing team members.
- Vendor Management – Build a stable of capable vendors that can be leveraged to perform tactical processes. Specify work scope, procure proposals, perform quality audits, and negotiate terms with vendors. Manage vendors throughout projects and address any vendor issues as they arise.
- Business Development Support – Collaboration with business development team in sales presentations, project scoping, and proposal development.
- Travel as needed – Occasional overnight travel will be required to service client meetings, supplier meetings, and cross-office work. Smithwise will pay for business related travel expenses.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) managing multi-disciplinary teams in the development of complex devices and systems
- Expertise in electronic and software controlled medical devices (Class II and III)
- Experience working in a fast-moving, small company environment
- Willingness and ability to get hands-on with electrical engineering tasks until team is built
- Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering (MS Preferred) or other related engineering discipline
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive Salary
- Eligibility for discretionary bonus following 12-mths of full-time employment
- Health insurance of which 60% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Dental insurance of which 50% is paid by SMITHWISE and the remainder paid by employee pre-tax, eligible immediately.
- Eligibility after 3 months of employment to participate in Simple IRA with dollar-for-dollar match up to 3% of employee salary.
- Company paid Short & Long-term Disability Policy
- Company paid Life Insurance (1x pay)
- SMITHWISE has adopted an Open PTO (Paid Time Off) policy, in which each employee is afforded the flexibility to take time off for vacation, holidays or for illness and shift schedules as necessary. As a professional, employed as a full-time employee, you are expected to contribute as such under this policy including informing colleagues of time off in advance and being available as required by this position. Eligibility begins after 60 days of continuous employment
- Eligibility for educational stipend (after 12 months of full time employment) and dedicated time for continued refinement of professional skills.
If you are interested in this position, please respond with the following:
- Email cover summarizing your background and interests
- Portfolio (if available)
Please send these items to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Thanks you for your time and interest in the position.
View All Positions